Thursday, September 16th, 2021
Payment gateways ensure that transactions, made either at a brick and mortar store or online, are processed securely and quickly. Payment gateways are the connection between the merchant and the consumer. Anytime a customer makes an online payment, sensitive information is exchanged between their bank account and the merchant’s account.
The 8 Best Online Payment Gateway
Choosing an online payment gateway can be complicated. It is important to determine what the needs are for your business and your budget. With a bit of time and research, you should be well on your way to find the perfect fit. For now, let’s save you some time and suggest a few that might be some of the best in the payment space.
Launched in 1996, Authorize.Net is one of the oldest payment gateway providers in the payment space. It offers an all-one-one package that includes a payment gateway and a merchant account. Other features include:
- Fraud prevention filters
- Customer information management
- Recurring payments
- Mobile payments
Established in 2011, Stripe is a payment gateway provider whose differentiation lies in technology and development. It offers solutions that are customizable and at very competitive rates. Here are more features:
- Supports 135 currencies and payment types
- Subscription billing
- Mobile payments
- One-click checkout
- Transaction tracking and reporting
Originally created as a digital wallet back in 1999, it has become one of the most recognized online payment processors. Due to its legacy and its ubiquitous use, PayPal believes that offering it as a payment option could increase conversions at checkout by 44%. Here are the features:
- Live support
- Fraud protection
- Extensive cart compatibility
- Scales to your business
- Multiple versions of their payment solutions
Founded in 2009 by Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey, Square created an online payment solution that could be utilized via smart devices instead of heavy and expensive POS hardware. More features:
- Accepts all major credit cards
- Can accept other payment types such as Apple Pay and Google Pay
- Can process ACH payments
- Allows users to accept payments over the phone, by invoice, or by website
Launched as an online payment platform in 2010 and later acquired by PayPal in 2013, it now supports in-store and online payments. It offers a “sleek interface”, providing a checkout experience that is seamless on any website. It also integrates with most e-Commerce platforms, analytics apps, and invoicing software.
- It accepts all major credit cards, digital wallets, ACH deposits, and PayPal in well over 130 currencies.
- Offers recurring billing
- Reporting tools
- Data encryption
- Fraud prevention tools
Originally launched in 2008 as a peer-to-peer group payment platform, WePay offers an integrated merchant account via Chase Merchant Services along with a payment gateway.
- Accepts most major credit cards, ACH payments, and Chase Pay
- Just need an email address for easy setup
- Create customizable checkout flows for online and in-person payments and refunds.
Launched in 2006, 2Checkout was created to facilitate online and mobile payments from customers worldwide. Currently, it serves 20,000 clients around the world.
- Offers payment gateway called 2Sell that accepts all major credit cards
- Supports payments in 30 languages and 100 currencies
- Users can host their own checkout pages
- Set up recurring transactions
- Payment history reports
Founded in 1989, Worldpay is a UK-based service that offers omnipayment solutions for businesses worldwide. It was the first electronic payment system in Europe.
- Includes automatic billing
- Card updates
- Customizable loyalty cards
- Simplified backend settlement
- Card-on-file support
Payment Gateways Offer Many Benefits
The importance of choosing the right payment gateway cannot be emphasized enough. A payment gateway that offers a seamless customer purchase experience, security, and a variety of payment options are just some of the many benefits that can be translated to growth and revenue for years to come.